Rock..is what Im all about, and Im gonna shout it out

Come to decide that the things that I tried
Were in my life just to get high on.


When I sit alone come get a little known
But I need more than myself this time.


Step from the road to the sea to the sky
And I do believe that we rely on.


When I lay it on
Come get to play it on
All my life to sacrifice.


-“Snow(Hey oh)-RHCP”

Bloody hell, when did Anthony Kiedis become such a good songwriter. Oh, by the way, Anthony Kiedis is the lead vocalist of Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now, I have heard RHCP from the time I started to listen to rock. That will be….around 7 years ago. Yup, I was 14 when I first heard a band called Pink Floyd singing about how to fly. The song was “learning to fly” and it set me flying along with them. And I have loved all the flying-time I got from that song. But things have become so much more dense and deep and multifarious and simple since that first time I heard Pink Floyd. Basically, I love Rock. And have always wanted a reason to write about it. And RHCP have distinctly made me more romantic to Rock than I will ever be.

I was considering listening to jazz and also some western classics after the I heard the new album by Muse. It sucked. The album was nothing but pure crap, wrapped in a gold. A mild case of “shit inside-but-gold cover”. Just like Beyonce and Britney Spears. Fuck, thinking about leaving rock music still makes me uneasy under my guts.

But this is not a critics point of view. It’s a simple and worried kid with a couple of rock ambition folded inside. And a few rock albums under his sleeves too. Well, mostly MP3s I have collected down the 3 years. Bands that have made history and bands who failed to even impress me, have gone and come and failed and retorted and stayed on. But, I have never doubted that Rock will ever die.

The whole notion of Rock dying is such a fallacy. How in the hell can Rock ever die. Its evolution that we need to see. We were amoebas when we started. Then we became a fish. Then we went to become monkeys and then apes. Then the curse of world, the parasites, the virus of the world came at the end of the evolutionary cycle….called Humans. Homo Sapiens.

The evolution of music was in a similar pattern. We had the niceties of classics. Meant for sons-of-bitches like kings and noblemen. WTF is a noblemen? How can anyone be a noblemen if he has the cash to show-off? Anyways, we had the classics. Then came jazz and then swing and then rock n roll. Then the parasites of music, the virus to pollute all, the non-ending saga of childishness, arrogance and egoism, called ROCK came to descend on the world. The finesse I have loved and hated. Not hated as much as I hate some girls, but very very close. The evolution of music doesn’t stop here.

First there was rock. Bob Dylan and Deep Purple. The notorious drug-addict freaks. Then came the Doors and The Who…..still the notorious drug-addict freaks. But this time there was an addition to their criticism. It was revolution and rebellion. The upheaval and the search for the ultimate peace and shit in the world. Then with the end of the era of (still) good boys…came the bad boys. The ones we still call the gods. The Black Sabbath, The Led Zeppelin, The Aerosmith, The Pink Floyd, The Jethro Tull……cant name all of those mother fuckers in one line. There is just too many to even put down. Then the evolution got down to its usual business again. And transformed itself to glam rock and the all two faced psychedelia of rock got easier to chase and learn. There were bands forming everywhere. On the streets, on the pavement, on the lanes, under bridges, over heavens and below hell.

The 80s had Metallica, U2, Megadeth, Sepultura, GNR……think they will be the Mozarts and the Beethovens of rock music. But the favorite of that era, was a small band with a grungy vocalist, bad bassist and an equally bad drummer……called Nirvana. “Smells like Teen Spirit”. The line which changed my rock-loving years…..

“And I forget
Just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile.
I found it hard
It was hard to find
Oh well, whatever, Nevermind”.

The last stanza in the teen spirit song. Cobain and his one night stand song. Nirvana . The foundation of grunge alternative rock. The facet of one man to commit suicide because he hated fame. The cocaine, heroin mix of rock…..the seattle rock age. The love and my passion.

Well, whenever I think of Nirvana or Cobain…..I cant really concentrate on what I am writing. It’s a personal thing and its something I hate about my favorite band in the universe. Over the years, since I first heard Cobain sing “All Apologies”, I have never really liked any other band and would probably never be able to. And I think I am cool with that.

Linkin Park, Korn, Audioslave, Pearl Jam…..all these bands are more than good. They are awesome actually. But I can never love them as I loved Nirvana. And its not that good. I try to settle down into a cocoon of my own. But the cocoon has a very hard shell and I would never be able to break it. Well, Nirvana has one bad effect.

Anyways, gotta go. My booze is here and have a long drinking night ahead. So, Rock On.

5th April, 2007. 11.20 P.M.

No comments: